Monday, August 17, 2009

Week 1

Bonjour from Benin!


I have finished my first week of work on the ship and am enjoying my first real weekend on the ship because I am on call today and tomorrow the ship is sailing just across the port to refuel. It has been a tough week spiritually and emotionally trying to deal with the change of living on a ship in a third world country and not having anyone I can really talk to about what is going on. Today I was able to enjoy some reading and time on the deck with some of the patients.


This week the Lord has really been breaking me down to reevaluate the reason He intended for me to be here. I can see now how it could have quickly turned into a trip that was about me and not me being purposeful with the time I spend here. I was glad that Christ showed me that that was the reason for the pain I had been experiencing all week. I knew this trip would be tough but there has been so much that He has shown me that is hard stuff to learn but necessary for me to grow deeper in Him.


Experiencing the third world is very different from what I know. When people at home said that there really isn't poverty in the States like there is in the third world, I believed them but experiencing it makes it real. There is a world here that is so different than at home that is their life here. They are people like we are that do things somewhat differently but the fact that they are moms, dads, brothers, sisters, and friends is a common denominator that makes us relatable on a universal level. They are people looking for the same thing that everyone else is looking for. To be loved.


Please pray for me to share the Gospel with courage to the people here whether it is people of Benin or the people I am working with and to stand firm in the trials that get me to that point. I am so blessed to know that you guys are praying for me back at home.


I love you all and miss you. I'd love for you to keep me up to date with what is going on with you as well.


No comments: