Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Week 3

So it's an amazing thing how this week has made it's very own little turn around. When I first arrived in Benin I was hoping for big things to happen. I was met with the unexpected surprise of trials that were so out of left field for me. I felt like I knew it was going to be tough coming here, but it started off way harder than I could have imagined.


This week I have really felt like the overwhelming feeling of being clueless about how to be a "missionary" has been working its way into a transformation of finding a new depth to Christ and reliance on Him. Every day here has felt like such a new day. I can't get out of bed without asking for grace. At home it's very easy to go on autopilot because I have a pretty general routine of things to do. I know the people I'm working with and kind of what's going on in their lives, and they know me.


God has turned my inward focus back out. I haven't felt like I was capable of serving others because I was so wrapped up in all the emotion of coming to a new place and everything that came along with it. Today was officially a new day though. It felt different like my spirit had life breathed back into it. I didn't take the day-by-day approach but more like the minute-by-minute approach looking for Christ to show up in every situation. He most certainly has. I think where I am supposed to be is not fitting in like I thought I wanted/should (rare bird, Katherine?). It's pretty liberating actually.


I spent some time on the ward today after the church service painting everyone's fingernails and toenails. Before I came I had asked someone what I should bring and one thing they said was nail polish. I looked for the brightest colors I could find which were a very hot pink and a shimmery orange. They seemed to enjoy it. It was so nice spending time with them even though I was unable to communicate with them. I felt like this was a good ice breaker for me feeling comfortable just being there. I'm going to try to start spending more time with them and break out the fun stuff some of you sent with me to play with the kids that are here.


I guess I don't know too much else to say for now. Things are definitely falling into place. Christ is faithful no doubt. As far as prayer goes, I have been working with 2 ladies for the past 3 weeks who are leaving Friday. They both have a lot of heartache and I would really love for them to know how God really loves them. Also that I can continue to get out of my comfort zone and really start spending time with the ladies and their children, which are the patients, staying just down the hall from me.


So let us know, let us press on to know the Lord. His going forth is as certain as the dawn; And He will come to us like the rain, like the spring rain watering the earth.

Hosea 6.3

No comments: