Thursday, December 11, 2008

White flag

"Jesus said to him, 'If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come follow Me.'"  Matthew 19.21

I wonder what life would be like if, after Jesus Himself commanded me to do this, I listened.  He's saying give everything that you have, everything you own.  Give it to the poor.  

And what next?  Follow Him.  That's it.

That's it!

No baggage.  "Jesus said to them, 'with people this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.'" (v. 26)  It doesn't make sense to us as humans who look to tangible things that we can rely on as our comfort/support.  God promises us something big though.  ALL things are possible with Him.  His ways are higher than ours ( Isaiah 55.9)  I find great comfort in that knowing that I don't have the best track record in knowing what is best for me.

If I want to be complete, he says that is in Him.  In this journey with Him.

"For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel's will save it.  For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world, and forfeit his soul?"   Mark 8.35-36

What is this life about if not about Christ?

No comments: